terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3567 Post(s)
Liked 3,745 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
We don't need nearly as much protein as most of us eat daily.
The exception may be vegetarian endurance athletes, who need 1.4-2 gm of protein per kg of body weight.

For me (riding enough hours to have the same needs as an "endurance athlete"), that's up to 120 gm, which is hard to get from just nuts and twigs.

My high protein choices: peanut butter, soy milk beverage, greek yogurt, egg whites, black beans. I do a smoothie with whey protein some days.

Originally Posted by Calsun
The hypothesis that saturated fats cause arterial inflammation and result in higher risk of heart attacks has no basis in science.
No basis in science, as in none whatsoever? That appears to be an overstatement.

There is at least some evidence that reducing saturated fat reduces heart attack risk.

"The included long‐term trials suggested that reducing dietary saturated fat reduced the risk of combined cardiovascular events by 17%...

Evidence supports the reduction of saturated fat to reduce risk of combined cardiovascular events in people with and without existing cardiovascular disease, in men and women, over at least two years and in industrialised countries.
"

-- Hooper L, Martin N, Jimoh OF, Kirk C, Foster E, Abdelhamid AS. Reduction in saturated fat intake for cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2020, Issue 8. Art. No.: CD011737. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011737.pub3.

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-30-23 at 12:41 PM.
Likes For terrymorse: