View Single Post
Old 04-01-23, 05:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,097 Times in 1,484 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
It's a good idea to keep track of your hr. It varies depending on what or when you eat, the time of day (higher in the afternoon) and with the elderly it can fluctuate wildly, as I found out today.
I usually take bp/hr around 10am Sat morning, with the wife. Our little ritual; she's on meds, I'm not. Rates for my age, mid seventies, not bad; 118/60/52.. But I had a routine health check this afternoon, and bp had shot up to 147. I'd had a curry for lunch, followed by chocolate to which I have an adiction. Now and again I go a little mad with cherry bakewells and ice cream thrown in and it's become a bad habit.
I don't think you can hang onto bad habits in your 70s.
A slight discomfort in the L of my chest during spinning class has given me some resolve. I hope it's enough (the medic has arranged for an ECG) but I have my aspirins ready!
That sounds familiar. My experience suggests that the ECG won't show anything though you might have a partially blocked cardiac artery or arteries My cardiologist(s) only found my problem with an angiogram. My issue was bad enough that I passed out on the bike, still no clinical evidence found over a period of months and various exams before that potentially expensive and invasive exam and its bonus, 2 stents. Hope you have decent health insurance. During that long period between my initial syncope and the stents, while 2 cardiologists couldn't find their butts with both hands, I think my heart sustained permanent damage. I suggest finding a sports cardiologist now.

My numbers were as good as yours or better. I only had deposits in coronary arteries, everything else was good. For more fun with BP, see: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...ha.107.487439#