Old 04-05-23, 06:35 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 981 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot
​​​What to you mean "gearing low enough for me"? It is 18 speed 3 x 6. Low gear is very low. . Sorry don't have tooth count in front of me. What ratio do you think I need? Feet/Crank Rev or Gear Ratio? I have a rule. If incline is so steep, pedaling at 60-90 rpm is not much faster than walking, I will get off and walk. Ha ha. No shame. Low gear is enough to climb medium hills without too much issue with my mighty legs... ha ha.. Gearing is high enough to pedal on down grades and go fast enough to scare me. Gearing is not an issue.
A little heads up from someone of a similar age and who also has kept my old tourer from not many years ahead of yours. (And had many motorcycles)
The low gearing that was fine enough unloaded back in the 80s will now be pretty damn tall when adding weight on the bike, especially for an old geezer (remember, I'm the same age!) Going up hills loaded will feel like you are lugging the bejesus out of your knees, but you won't be able to downshift.
Your maybe 60 yr old knees might not like this not very low gearing if you end up riding in hills.
On that note, really get out there and ride, ride, ride. And ride with some baggage, increasing load and distance to allow your body to get stronger.
These frames can and will get flexy with weight of a touring load, plus you may very well be heavier than 40 years ago, so careful of this, and you'll probably see that if you stand and pedal, it will be pretty loosey goosey, like a 76 cb350 with clapped out undersprung suspension!

Hopefully this will all turn out well for you, just be aware of these downsides from a 40 years old touring bike. As you say, walking is fine when needed, just be careful of lugging the crap out of your knees, it ain't good for them.