Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 2,348 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
No. Such bikes get ridden when inebriated. Suppose the rider runs into something. If male, some very sensitive parts may be making contact with basically spears.

Yes, I know this has been poo-poo'd many times. We used to suggest this to male customers of new bikes in the shop I worked in '77, saying the small charge to upgrade to DT shifters might be one they never regret. That September I was wheeling my race bike into a hotel in Nasua NH for the race the next day when an old man (probably resident there) came up to me to tell me that those shifters had done just that to him.
I'm only going to poo it, not poo poo it. But if my stuff has gone from the saddle to the stem (which knock on wood has never happened), I figure the stem is going to crush anything that skidded down the top tube.

But as to what shifter is best for a pub rider, I have so many different shifter arrangements, half the time before I'm two blocks from the house sober as a judge, I've reached everywhere but the right place before I've got up the first hill. So I don't think shifters are the most important thing for a pub rider. Something to safely haul home a growler of ale on the other hand...

Likes For Chuck M: