View Single Post
Old 04-28-23, 09:18 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Liked 169 Times in 112 Posts
"Do you worry about your heart?"

Yes...
It's the primary reason I ride so darned much.

My great grandfather. Died of a heart attack walking up the stairs outside of a Chicago church
My grandfather died of a heart attack walking his dog outside in Colorado
My father, still alive, but only because of many bypass operations, both planned and emergency
Me... still alive. With some minor arterial blockage.

I don't believe it's a matter of "if", but rather "when". And I'd like to prolong that "when" as long as possible. The good thing I have going for me is the above mentioned people were smokers. I refuse to touch cigarettes. I also exercise far more than any of them ever did. My doc has me on crestor too. I ride 150+ mile every week in the summer, with at least one very strenuous ride each week. My doctor is also quite impressed with my fitness level, despite being aged 52. I'm slightly overweight, but I don't fluctuate in much in the winter, and usually lose 10 lbs by end of the summer each year (I gain it all back during Oktoberfest time).

But yeah, I worry about my heart constantly. I have to.