Old 05-03-23, 10:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4865 Post(s)
Liked 4,013 Times in 2,608 Posts
I love to stand. I also love having my bars reasonably low and far forward. I have a lot of weight on my hands and pull up considerably on the upstroke. I read here that much of what I am doing is wrong but I've been doing it for 50 years. During my brief racing "career" I was the guy others did not like to see at the start of the hilly races in Vermont.

I do not have any one thing I always do. Sometimes I rock the bike a lot. Other times I hold it vertical. I do love "the dance" where everything excerpt my eyes is moving. (Well; my head will be rocking from side to side so my view of the world is rocking but the bridge of my nose is going straight uphill. Tires too. That from my coaches back when.)

Best advice? Stand. A lot. Work on doing it longer and longer. Observe what works, what feels good. Try playing with brake levers, handlebar height and rotation. (Mark everything first so you can return to it. It may well be that you are looking for a compromise between seated comfort, power and efficiency and the same standing.

A tip if you like to rock the bike a lot and ride in the drops - avoid handlebars with the now popular almost square outboard "corners". Those corners can do a number on your forearms. For me, they hit near bare bone rather hard. Older bars with the far more rounded "corners" are much more forging and rounded shoulder track bars are wonderful.
Likes For 79pmooney: