View Single Post
Old 05-16-23, 10:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4882 Post(s)
Liked 4,048 Times in 2,625 Posts
A new track bike design - interesting!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wil...aris-olympics/

So far only one. But the plan is to make more molds for different sizes and get them out there for the Worlds in England in August so the bike will qualify for next year's Olympics. Bike shoots to capitalize on the new rules on handlebar reach and tubing aerodynamics. (As someone who was fascinated/obsessed with aero/hydrodyanics as the pertained to sailboats and studied ship design with a fair sampling of aero long ago, I love this. But I also love that this bike is an attempt to "keep it real". Most of the bike's key parts are ordinary old standards. 1 1/8" steerer. 68mm BB with threads! 100/120 dropout spacing for ordinary track wheels.

No agenda here. I don't race, let alone on the velodrome. I know nothing about this venture save what I read in the link above. Sadly the local velodrome is closed down and will soon be gone. But this bike looks like it could be a game changer for the better. A less expensive super aero bike that once obtained could be raced as cheaply and on the same equipment as a 1970s steel bike. Where you can show up at the velodrome (perhaps flying in with your bike but not everything you own) and over the weekend, borrow wheels and drivetrain bits to race events you weren't planning on. (Like the track record challenge a spectator put up a nice prize for that requires a crankset and wheels you didn't bring.)
Likes For 79pmooney: