Old 05-28-23, 09:44 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Hi Joe, I do not know, I’m not in the loop. I know I checked May 2022 after the snafu at PBL for the 2022 event. When speaking to the BLM manager then, he said permitting should start ASAP to work out all details, get plans and cooperation in place, etc. I sent emails and phone messages to Italy and Amadeo trying to alert them (PBL said they also told Amadeo) After the 2023 event was postponed, I figured something should have happened with PBL, but checking after my April Paso Touroica trip, nothing from Eroica had been done with PBL. Very disappointing.

Also, because of the past problems with Eroica, plus reduced staffing at PBL, all events there are treated as a commercial event, with expanded insurance, staffing, costs, and requirements, no allowances for any type of community hedges or discounts. Done “all by the book” and needing complete permitting, planning, and complete approval by PBL BLM and their event staff, or it’s a NO GO.

You and I, and the vast majority of US based folks / cyclists can understand and appreciate the PBL stance, it’s State and Federal land, a wildlife and environmental sanctuary, and has its own requirements for use. It even requires payment coverage of any lost revenue for not giving tours that day! If that sounds like a lot of bother, planning, cost, and hassle, it is! But also for them. It’s worth it though for the beauty, the wonder, and the experience, especially for say 600-700 riders on the short route, paying Avg $120 per meaning $72,000-$84,000 for the privilege.

So I do not know if PBL will be included in the Shoet route as a stop destination or not. I’d bet that as of June 1, if I call, the permitting situation may not be any different or completed.