Old 05-30-23, 12:34 PM
jon c. 

Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Depends on where you live.

What is the literacy rate in New Orleans?
Megan Holt doubts many people are surprised to learn that New Orleans' adult literacy rate is lower than the national average—the New Orleans Community Data Center estimates the city has a 26 percent low-literacy rate among 18- to 64-year olds, compared to 23 percent nationally.
Google Search

Some locations are dumber than others.
True dat.

In the late 70s I lived in NO for a few years. My first summer there I drove a ice cream truck selling ice cream and cold drinks to longshoremen working the uptown docks. Crunch bars were "church bars". The Deluxe bar was a "Dixie bar." And the Neapolitan sandwich became a "Napoleon sandwich." I soon realized that a fair number of my customers were functionally illiterate but recognized the letters and used words that were common in the area that used roughly the same letters. At the time, the Dixie beer sign loomed large over the downtown area. And one of the docks was the Napoleon St. wharf. So these were the words they new that looked approximately like the words on the side of the truck. These guys weren't necessarily dumb, but they were certainly uneducated.

But I don't know that this would suggest they couldn't understand the concept of sharrows. At least to the extent that they suggest to a driver that bicycles might well be using that street.
Likes For jon c.: