View Single Post
Old 06-02-23, 11:06 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4518 Post(s)
Liked 4,215 Times in 2,822 Posts
Originally Posted by rc5781
I bought my mountain bike pre-pandemic for about $350. Post-pandemic the same bike cost about $700. Currently the same bike costs about $500.
No your bike did not go up that much. Maybe in your mind but no there isn't a low end bike like that, that rose that high. Prices did go up that is true but I have more than extremely high doubts your bike doubled in price. Would love to see the proof but I am sure you will say "the pudding store is out of pudding". To those who might not get it "the proof is in the pudding".

Now say if you bought your bike in the 90s and the equivalent is $700 today I can see that but that is 20-30 years on and irrelevant to this conversation.

In terms of it being anecdotal it is anecdotal, you are just telling us a story and while it may or may not be true there is no evidence to back it up and again it is one bike out of probably hundreds of thousands of different bikes from different brands over the world.

Getting back to the topic at hand the boom is over and has been for a while. People are still buying bikes but nowhere near boom levels. However steadily electric bicycles have been a growing market that has been getting bigger since before the pandemic was a thing. Also tack on the electric mopeds that usually get lumped in with bicycles and you will see growth or at least some higher numbers than pre-pandemic but there is no boom anymore and the idea it is still around is crazy to think about as working in the industry from well before the pandemic till not that long ago I could see not just at the shops I worked at but through talking with other shops and vendors in the industry and looking at industry news that things were not booming. Certainly not doing poorly but not as well as we would all like.