Old 06-06-23, 03:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4866 Post(s)
Liked 4,016 Times in 2,610 Posts
For someone with small hands, there's another issue. I got to see this with my not so small (but not super strong) hands when I paired NR calipers (that fit nicely on a race bike I was using as a commuter) with regular Tektro levers. Stopping power. In the dry, so-so. Downhills in the rain had me wondering more than once or twice the very simple "can I stop at all?"

I would never put those calipers on a bike of someone I cared about who wasn't strong. The have been famously known as being to adjust your speed, not stop you. The creator of the brake has even been quoted as saying as much. I did that one year and decided I hadn't crashed yet but it was time to stop pushing my luck. (The Grand Comps I raced made roughly the same year (1976) were decent stoppers with levers smaller than my hands like. Yes, those Grand Comps were nothing close to my city bike's Mafacs. I had to ride them in the wet planning ahead but I never recalled them being scary.

Edit: I was fully aware all my braking days that both bikes I raced out-stopped the Campy NR/SR bikes by so much I needed to remember to be careful. Stock brakes on first a Lambert, then a Fuji Pro.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-06-23 at 03:09 PM.