Old 06-08-23, 12:29 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Zara Sp00k
You've actually seen Minneapolis police on the street? I have not seen one in the past 3 years, they are all busy investigating murders on the north side, where you'd have to be on THC at the minimum to ride a bike. I don't doubt in the more "exclusive" (as the residents would like to think) areas cops have nothing to do except respond to citizens concerns, like bikes not stopping at stop signs.
When I was in Milwaukee a similar thing, cops where too busy investigating murders to do anything else, but in nearby Shorewood I saw them helping a motorist change a tire. The only crime there is wearing brown shoes with a black suit.
I'm pretty sure they will stop enforcing stop signs laws entirely, no doubt POC get ticketed for it at a higher rate, the real question is will they legalize murder, since it too is disproportionately .... you get the idea.
This is Minnesota wide, not just Minneapolis. We agree, the MPD has been MIA since June 2020.

I biked North Minneapolis yesterday (Plymouth Ave between Theo and the river), and ride North Minneapolis regularly, not single issue, none. But in St Paul on that same ride, I had a driver threaten me with their pickup while swearing at me.

Shorewood is one of the police departments that has issued moving violation tickets for people biking the Lake Minnetonka Trail for failing to make a complete stop. Also Minnetonka Beach on the Dakota Trail ... and years ago Hopkins was issuing tickets to trail users too. I hope we can see these bored suburban cops changing more tires and not issuing pointless tickets to folks on bikes.