View Single Post
Old 06-09-23, 03:53 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3506 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,163 Posts
Originally Posted by mark03
We had one shipped to the store for pick-up this week, but yesterday we bought a well loved 2009 LHT Deluxe (with S&S couplers) for about half the price.
If you are new to S&S couplers, it is a good idea to carry a wrench that can be used to tighten them. One of my couplers started to come loose during a ride a few years ago. Instead of carrying the S&S wrench on my bike (with the spare tube, etc.), I carry one of these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234810548902

I had to use a file for a couple minutes to make it fit better on the coupler. Shipping from Asia can be slow.

If you decide to pack it for airline travel, I have been happy with the S&S Backpack case. And if you get a case and pack it for travel, the first time you get it packed in the case, as you remove it from the case take lots of photos as you unpack it so that you can refer to the photos later to know how you packed it, which items in which order, etc.

And if you never pack it in a case, that works too.

ADDENDUM:

I cut some sleeves from an inner tube, not sure what size but it was mountain bike size that I use to keep dust and dirt out of the coupler threads. I stretched it over the ends of the coupler "nuts".

S&S sells some very expensive grease. I am not sure how important that grease is, but I bought it and have used it very sparingly on my coupler threads. But if you only rarely used your S&S couplers, maybe a good grease like Phill would be adequate instead of the expensive S&S grease.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 07-06-23 at 02:55 PM.