View Single Post
Old 06-15-23, 02:31 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 804 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I know this has been discussed but I am bring it up just to see if anyone else is in my shoes.I am retired and my routine is to get up very early in the morning. I am morning personand staying up late does not work for me. I generally go out and ride early myself going between 30-75 miles pretty much daily if weather allows. My reasoning is around here the wind is usually the calmest in the early morning and much less traffic. I go out before sunrise a lot have a good like and with a good light hopefully easy to see at night.

So I could try and hook up with friends and group rides but I just don't. I don't mind being out myself and it allows total freedom but the price is that sometimes company is good and certainly you can move faster in a group ride. To me it is just way to much of a change if I wait till the group rides that happen usually later in the day. There is a retired group that goes out of a few cycliist I could hook up with but the pace would be a bit slower than I got, although I am not some super cyclist. I go along from 16-19mph here in the flatlands.

So the moral of the story is this works and I am ok with it. Anyone else find the group rides are not really necessary and prefer the lone ranger approach?
Yesterday was 12:36AM start time for my 33.33 mile solo ride. Had to avoid 2 Opossums running in front of me a 1 HUGE Racoon. Had 1 newspaper deliverer driving around who ALMOST blasted thru a STOP SIGN as I was approaching but we both slowed in time so no OOPS. Today's ride was a late start with the SUN UP and the HEAT ON HIGH so no fun for 41.14 solo miles.

Can't ride with the retired group anymore since their pace can be 21+ mph for much of the 35 to 45 miles they ride.
Likes For OldTryGuy: