View Single Post
Old 06-18-23, 12:34 AM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
What do you suppose happens in a dry skid?
There is no such animal. When a rubber tire skids across pavement, it liquefies itself and creates the thin layer of liquid which -- as previously explained -- interferes with the rubber-road interface. That's what a skid mark is.

1. Hydroplaning and sliding are two very different things. Wet tires are in contact with the wet road, hydroplaning tires are not.
I am afraid you are wrong, they are not different. And you neglected to explain why or how the tire-road interface ceases to function -- if not due to hydroplaning.

You also neglected to explain how any of those videos clearly showing hydroplaning cycles are possible within the physical world that you imagine exists.

2. Bicycle tire tread doesn't help with either of them; this was the original argument you attempted and you seem to have dropped it.
My original argument was actually that bicycles can hydroplane. That has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt ( not by me here, by decades of study and investigation and experience ).

The separate question of whether tread design can prevent that is not one I have addressed. It certainly can, but that is not my point at all. My point is that people need to stop parroting 1960s ideas about bicycle tires being immune to hydroplaning, when nothing could be further from the truth.

It is a fact that small amounts of water can INCREASE the coefficient of friction for certain material combinations. You must explain that and your "one molecule" statement. pressure.
Your evidential link doesn't seem to have come through, first of all. Second, we are talking here specifically about rubber tires and pavement -- not some unspecified combinations that are irrelevant to the topic.

You are making strawman arguments about mass and gravity and tire pressure.
This is beneath you. This is a discussion about physics, so mass and gravity and pressure are anything but strawmen. Do better.

Last edited by TC1; 06-18-23 at 01:43 AM.