BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
regardless of how big a hammer you are using, make sure you are transferring that energy into moving the cup

when you say "clamped in a vice" please describe your setup?

sometimes getting somebody to hold the frame right behind the headtube helps

/markp
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Clamping the frame in the vice ensures that much of the impact is being transmitted through the frame (which is acting as a spring) and is thus being absorbed by the frame and the vice.

Take the frame out of the vice, and have a helper simply hold the frame up loosely - grabbing it through layers of shop towels or the like, to ensure that the impact force isn't being absorbed anywhere but at the point of contact - and tap the the cup out gently (while moving the point of impact a few millimeters at a time) with a blunt punch or screwdriver or whatever tool you can safely adapt to the purpose.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I've got no physics beyond HS but it seems if you whack something with a 5lb hammer and it doesn't move, something else connected might. Hopefully not the downtube. I think that may be why it was suggested someone hold the frame. Good luck!
I happened upon this comment on removing headset bearings on Dave Moulton's blog. Dave had a reputation as a good frame builder in the previous century. He is now retired. He wrote:

I would simply place the removal tool in the headtube, hold the frame in one hand, while tapping out the bearing cup with a hammer or preferably a wooden mallet with the other hand. These cups are only a press fit in the frame, and only require a few light taps to knock them loose.