View Single Post
Old 06-21-23, 02:30 PM
SB1501

Bikes: SOLD: Giant Escape 3 (2021), Raleigh Edale (2016)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Thinking of finally going for it...

I've been a long time lurker - occasionally posting - on this forum and some other bike forums on the net since around 2015. Since then I've owned cars, and graduated and got better cars etc, and I've loved that. But the notion for cycling never leaves me - not entirely. It's always been about the barriers - practicality, safety, weather, everybody tells me 'what if this' scenarios. This time I think I've got them all sorted.

I'm totally sold on one of those amazing Tern e-cargo bikes. But that's around £4-6,000 investment. Replacing the car terms, that's easy to justify. But I'm not there yet. Last year I bought a Giant Escape 3 (2021 model) and I realised that, as someone who doesn't like being on the road with cars, just cycle paths and places where cycling is allowed, it didn't get much use. For me, commuting is key to getting on my bike, and giving me that reason to get on it - regularly. I need that reason. I'm not into besting my speed and times, or doing huge tens of mile circuits, respect to those who do though.

They do this Cycle2Work scheme here in the UK. I found out today that my employer does this up to £2,000 and that you can use it only for accessories. I think the accessories could make this work for me.

This is the shopping list:
  • Pannier Rack
  • Pannier Bags
  • Tool Bag / Kit
  • Small Pump
  • Full Size Mudguards
  • Stand
  • Phone Mount (is this useful really?)

Clothing:
  • Waterproof Jacket
  • Waterproof Over Trousers
  • Waterproof Overshoes
  • Base Layer
  • Gloves
  • Cap / Hat (needed?)

Things to carry / that will be carried:
- Work laptop
- Huel bottle
- Phone charger
- Towel / soap (for showering at work)
- Spare shirt
- Medication
- Water Bottle

I'd like to replace my car ultimately, with an expensive e-cargo bike - but before I can do that I need to justify it with my current Giant Escape.

The Route
The route will be from the postcode BT472 (general area) into BT48 7NR (general area). It's mostly flat. I can do 90% of it entirely off of the road, using shared paths, paths and cycle paths along a river so mostly flat as well. The initial 1.7 miles I believe, to the next village, is on a primary A road - so close passes from busses, lorries, cars. I've done it a few times. It takes under 10 minutes - thankfully. It's the sole reason I've put off commuting as a 'serious idea', but as a reason to avoid it, it's pretty weak. What worries me there is night time and severe weather. More so getting stuck 'in town' and needing to come out. The rest of the route is nice, and even in bad weather, if I'm warm, dry and protected from the wind I can manage. The 1.7 risky bit is surely not a good excuse to give up on the idea?

Typical Journeys
To work / home from work (just me) [in the city]
To partners / from partners (just me) [in the city]
To the supermarket [in the city]
To the city (for any reason / fun / leisure)
^ Largely to the same spots. Carrying personal, work and groceries is important - but again it's just for myself so no need to carry anything too exceptionally big.

Motivation
  • Maintain my fitness in the long term in my life (only 27 so far, but I know if I don't use my body it will give up earlier haha)
  • Mental health benefits
  • A break from screen time at work and home
  • A decompression space between home and work / waking up properly
  • A challenge / bit of excitement in the daily
  • Save some money compared to the car
  • A new hobby to get into
  • Do some good for the planet
  • Be less beholden to car ownership, bills and caring so much about cars and driving
  • Less stress - driving is s t r e s s f u l - you can't relax too much without dangerously overlooking things, yet there's so much to be annoyed about with other drivers and traffic

Concerns
  • That stretch of road.
  • Cycling at night on that stretch of road (I'd like that free ability to be confident to do so if needed though, or in winter)
  • Losing too much weight because of it (I'm quite thin, could do with gaining a little weight, and am not the biggest eater, mostly due to things like anxiety which sort of ruins my appetite)
  • Social alienation of doing this: no more lifts for others, less freedom to go as far and to rare places as with the car, though not an everyday issue
  • Days when you feel under the weather a little, I can work from home in my job thankfully - so is that enough to not have to worry?

A lot is in my favour. Working from home is an option. Showering at the office is an option. Most places I go, are within a 1 mile radius in the city centre. If I stayed at my girlfriends house, it's like under 2 miles from work to there. She doesn't drive and has one kid, who got by before me and therefore whilst having a car has been nice to her, it's not something we'd depend on. How this would impact the long run future sort of concerns me, in case I'm overlooking things here in the romance of the idea of going car free / bike commuter as much as possible.

I'm really excited, and I've remembered this during a time where I can get all the kit I need to commute via the Cycle2Work scheme. Got any recommendations for this entire idea? Or those products / clothing needed? I have to use either Halfords or Tredz (bike stores in the UK). I was sticking mostly to Giant accessories (for compatibility) and Altura for clothing where possible, but I'm really keen to hear what kit / brands help you commute?

PS, I have a Hardnutz helmet - I plan to keep using this, and Lezyne little small front and rear lights, I might need to up these for commuting in darker months?
Likes For SB1501: