Old 06-24-23, 12:17 AM
emdub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
SON Dynamo and Edelux II questions

Hello everyone,

This afternoon I finished my installing and wiring my new SON dynamo hub, Edelux II headlight, and a Busch & Muller Micro taillight. After sunset I went for a ride, and I was amazed at the brightness and throw of the new headlight and taillight!

However, I have a few questions for people familiar with the SON dynamo and Schmidt Edelux II:

1: Once the bike is moving, the 0, S, and 1 switch positions do not function. I can turn the lights on, but not off. What’s the story here?

2: When I ride with the headlight switch in the “S” position, the light is dim and flickers. Is that normal?

3: When I got home and put the bike away, the lights remained on for several minutes, regardless of the switch position. Is that normal?

4: The light shape on the ground is sort of a trapezoid, surrounded by a less-bright circle. Is that the way the light beam was designed?

5: My headlight is mounted on my handlebars; most headlights I’ve seen are mounted at the fork crown or on a front rack. What is the advantage of mounting the light lower and closer to the front wheel? If my headlight is mounted on the handlebars, am I reducing the efficacy of the light?

6: The light is illuminating approximately ten to twenty feet of path in front of me. What is the correct position for the light? Should I aim the light higher or lower?

Below are some photos from this evening’s ride. As always, your wisdom, experience, and advice are welcomed and appreciated.

The throw and brightness of the Edelux II is amazing. Note the trapezoid-shaped field of light.

Here's the trapezoid-shaped light field, surrounded by a less-bright circle.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep; but I have promises to keep...

...and miles to go before I sleep.