View Single Post
Old 06-27-23, 06:26 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 572 Posts
The other side of this discussion is the intangible enjoyment you get out of turning hex wrenches and putting your stamp on something. I get this completely. I have six or seven hybrids, and all use pretty much the same basic component standards (7/8/9-speed drivetrains, 100/135mm hubs, etc.) and I swap stuff around on them all the time. I like trying different things and seeing how this component over here might work over there. My goal is not to get more speed out of one bike vs. the next. My goal is not to set a personal best record on a particular ride route. That's not why I cycle and it's not why I wrench on my bikes. I do it because it brings me enjoyment and satisfaction...it's something that I personally enjoy doing and I'm not particularly concerned about the financial perspective or getting my money back on something. That's not the end goal for me. Most of my bikes are hybrid bikes because they're what I like to ride.

So I can certainly identify with wanting to upgrade a Verve. I've done that myself. I once owned a 2015 Verve...beautiful bike and I never should have sold it. I sold it to buy a 2018 Giant Roam and never really did like that Giant the way I'd hoped and wish I had that Verve back. Anyway, the 2021 Verve has clearance for big tires and tires are the first thing I'd personally do with it. If you're interested in a nice ride or lower rolling resistance, you can spend money on some pretty supple tires...there are plenty in the 45-50mm range for these wheels (622mm, or more commonly referred to as "700c"). If your Verve has disc brakes, you could consider swapping to 584mm wheels (more commonly referred to as "650b" or "27.5 inch"). This would allow for even larger rubber if that interests you. I agree with Korina on things like saddle, pedals, and grips. These three contact points are usually pretty basic items from the factory and better stuff can be had. You may find better braking out of upgraded brakes or just brake pads (regardless of whether you have disc or rim brakes).

I like adding a rack to make the bike more versatile. I do enjoy "utility biking" where I'm riding with a specific purpose (groceries, hauling something from here to there, etc.). I have a bike trailer that started out as a Thule Chariot jogging stroller and it's now a flatbed cargo trailer that I use for hauling camp chairs to go watch fireworks at the park, or hauling firewood, or even Chick-fil-A hot boxes full of sandwiches for a fundraiser at church.

None of the things I mentioned above are required to ride or enjoy your bike, they won't make you faster, and they won't increase the value of your bike. However, I suspect you're a little bit like me and none of that is the object of the game for you.