View Single Post
Old 06-29-23, 02:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18427 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you are interested there is little reason to not try clipless. For me, and apparently others, foot security and having one less thing to think about are the primary benefits. If I had to do a lot of stop and start I might make a different choice.
It is not just "Try".

You have to go all-in if one is doing this. Not just one ride. But, perhaps a few weeks or months. A couple of century rides.

For those that used toe clips, the conversion to clipless is generally quick and easy, but not without a couple of speed bumps.

For those that have never had foot retention, there are a few new things to learn. I.E. The foot doesn't just slip off the side of the pedal and down to the ground. One must consciously unclip, sometimes a few yards before one plans to stop.

Toe clips (without cleats), one can push down and back to release. With cleats, one can add a twist. Pre loosening straps can help, but is only necessary for getting the foot back into the pedal.

Clipless, a good twist and perhaps upward lift to get the foot out.

My biggest issues with clipless came with riding up my driveway. If I lost traction and lost forward momentum, I got caught a couple of times not getting my feet to the ground quickly enough. I learned to watch the no forward momentum moments.