Old 07-05-23, 11:12 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by diphthong
absolute waves of cyclists of all abilities mostly on road bikes but more than a few mtb's, gravel grinders, hybrids and tt bikes as well.
Hey, that was me on one of the hybrids! I still call it a mountain bike, but time has changed how others see it. I have not ridden enough this year to pull off making it to the village, and I was not very prepared in terms of my road bike. So I took the hybrid and set the hut as my goal. It was a nice ride up, I determined that in terms of real time, my old StumpJumper is two minutes slower per mile than the IronMan. I also had bigger slicks than in the past. I think the most fun is looking at other people's rides. Saw a few bikes I'd never heard of - a November?

Originally Posted by diphthong
at the first gate fixing a flat around 7:15am, hundreds went past. descending back a mile to the car to take advantage of a frame pump
saw approx another 150. descending gmr on the way back from the shack saw approx another 300.

drove up from san diego this morning. not always able to make it due to work schedule but make it most years. such a great sense of camaraderie
amongst the cycling community. my fave annual cycling event in socal. the no motorized traffic is very cool but on the way up, try to stay as far right as possible.
do have to keep an eye out for the occasional, wayward descender as some overestimate their current abilities, speed or their bike's capabilities.
Yeah, on the descent I was not going fast enough for a roadie who insisted on passing on a (blind) curve, using the left side. I was a little nervous for him.

This is the fourth year in a row I've done it. It's a gas.
Likes For Chinghis: