View Single Post
Old 07-13-23, 07:51 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 199 Posts
Rode 15 miles today. I figured I'd give it a try, and despite my injuries, I had no trouble riding. I can barely walk (foot sprain) and stairs are especially problematic. I made a joke earlier that you don't have to walk to cycle, you can just sit, and there may be some truth in that. It didn't hurt and wasn't uncomfortable.

I'm a bit compulsive about my riding. My only quantifiable goal is to ride more than 100 miles a week, and I rarely miss that (but will this week). I'm riding for fitness and health, and it seems to me that weekly goals make more sense for that than annual goals. Anyway, I gave it a try and didn't have any problems. My typical ride is 15-20 miles, but I rarely miss a day.

My wife had mixed feelings about my riding today. On the one hand, she thought I should rest a few more days and heal up a bit more. But she also observed that for a lot of old people (like me), they can take a fall and never recover, so she thought it was a good sign that I felt well enough to ride.

On a semi-related note, the bike has quick releases on its through axles, and the paint was ground off on the rear axle, as well as on the edge of the pedal, and the bar tape was also torn, all on the bike's left side. So, it appears the bike did a three point landing, skidding on the quick release, the pedal, and the bars, keeping the frame off the tarmac. If the quick release wasn't there, it might have damaged the frame. It looks like those quick releases might offer some frame protection!
Likes For Random11: