View Single Post
Old 07-20-23, 03:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2048 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I also don't understand how CF brake track wear would become smooth; I'd expect that as the resin wears through, the fibers become exposed and the surface rougher. The fiber matrix is simply more coarse by its very nature than the uniformly textured (i.e. smooth) resin which is injected to keep it all together and rigid.
I am a late adopter to rim brake CF wheels, having bought my first CF wheelset only 15 months ago. From what I have read, brake track delamination is much less of an issue nowadays with the advent of high glass transition temperature (Tg) resin and brake shoe materials developed specifically for CF wheels. On some CF wheels, the brake track is also textured by either (1) laser etching the resin off to expose the underlying carbon fibers (Mavic) or (2) adding particles, e.g., basalt, graphene, etc. In the former, one might expect the brake track to remain coarse with wear, but not in the latter.