Old 07-23-23, 10:12 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 1,378 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Your post raises a pretty good point. Damage like that is pretty easy to spot, and like you said can be simple to fix. More importantly, at least to me, is the rider probably had ample warning something was going to fail.

Carbon doesn't seem to have an easy way to detect pending failures. I also have questions how gracefully it will be when it does.

A limited lifetime isn't really a big issue as long as one knows when the frame needs to be retired. How does one know that with a carbon part?
Good follow up question. I have budgeted a quarter into the purchase of every carbon bicycle and perform regular and thorough tap tests. When I bought my S Works bike I decided to use a Silver Dollar because I heard if you use a actual silver (well 90%) that the tone is cleaner and more defined.

Then every 10 years I schedule a full NDT of the frame and carbon components. This money is also set aside at purchase and placed into an Index Fund. Luckily the costs for testing is dropping as market performance has been soft since my last frame purchase.

https://carbonbikedoctor.com/inspection-diagnostics/

However if I am on a longer tour or just busy with other important issues like keeping Aphids off my tomatoes I just ride my bike like millions of others and not give it a second thought.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged: