Old 07-24-23, 01:46 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by JustaJoe
Stoopid newbie question for an old bike, I've searched and I'm not finding answers: I want to convert my (build date Feb 2018) CT to a 1X. I've been riding it exclusively on the middle front chainring (38T), so now I'd like to go to a single front chainring and upgrade the rear probably to AdventX. I am confused about how to fit a new front ring? Is the 3X front a direct mount? (Sorry, not fully schooled on all terminology) If so, is there consideration for spacing/offset?
And if not, what all do I need to fit a single up front?

This has the 68mm BB, square taper. Guess I'll also need new cranks... Obviously I'll need a new chain as well.

Thanks for any guidance.

(And before anyone advises to just leave the front alone, I would, but this is kind of my play/learn/project bike so I want to noodle with it.)
I was considering to change my Crosstrail out to a 1x system, but sold it and bought a bike that is a bit better sized for me. It is very similar to the Crosstrail, just the right size large instead of medium. I did convert it over to a 1x system about 2 years ago.

Anyhow, yes it is possible to change it to a 1x system. Regarding your crank, chances are you have a riveted crankset, so you will not be able to change the chainrings. You can attempt to find an Alivio to change to a 1x system as I did on my SubCross, or you can just purchase a Shimano Deore 1x crankset. Either or will require you to change bottom bracket since neither uses square taper. BUT....There are 1x square taper cranksets out there. Example click here

Regarding the Advent X, it's a great system that I installed on my prior hard tail mountain bike. Be aware that the shifter is a push push shifter. Meaning you don't push and pull like the Shimano's to shift gears. Personally I like the push push system better, but just got used to it since mountain biking, the one finger is for breaks and thumb is for shifting.

Also, Advent X is designed to work with the 11-48 cassettes, so it won't be a super smooth shifting between gears, but it shifts good and is a solid system.

Hope it helps, I thought it was fun to change the drivetrain out and have a much smoother shifting system without having to fuss with the front derailleur any longer. I hardly ever used the front derailleur and rather the gear range in the back.

Last edited by travbikeman; 07-24-23 at 01:52 PM.
Likes For travbikeman: