View Single Post
Old 07-26-23, 05:46 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 92 Posts
Spokes too short? What to do?

I asked a shop to build a new wheel for me. They did it really fast and shipped it to me in 2 days, as I'm going on a long tour on Monday and I noticed that the rear brake walls were worn and I didn't have time to swap the rim.

But the tips of the trailing spokes on the non-drive side, with spoke heads on the inside of the hub flange, seem to end at the bottom of the brass nipple head or possibly only 1/2 a thread further.
It's shorter than where I would like, but is it too short?
What should I do?

I know that the problem with the short spokes is that the nipple shaft will be fully in tension, instead of a longer spoke going past the bottom of the head compressing a part of the head.
But is this still safe for brass nipples with 32 spokes?
It's a 406 rim so the stress from bumps will be greater as the spokes are shorter, especially with a loaded rear rack.

The drive side spokes are almost all flush with the bottom of the nipple slot. One is 2 threads lower.
While the non-drive side leading spokes with spoke heads on the outside of the hub flange are around 1 thread lower than the bottom of the slot.

The shop's website requires entering spoke lengths to order, so I calculated based on the old rim dimensions of the same model that I had purchased from them before.
But I measured the new rim on the wheel they sent me to be shallower profile by around 1.3mm, so the new rim ERD is probably 2.6mm wider than the old rim.
I assumed as they were building the wheel, that they would choose the spokes accordingly, and I noted in the order to please choose the correct length as my values were based on the old rim, but their worksheet shows the same spoke lengths that I submitted.

The 1.3mm shallower profile is similar to the difference in most of the spoke lengths between the new and old wheels, but doesn't completely explain why the trailing spoke ends on the non drive side are even shorter by another 1.5-2mm.
Maybe it's the outside elbows not being pressed down towards the flange during the wheel building?

What to do now?