Old 07-27-23, 10:38 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Wife rant

My beloved better half has been riding with me for years. She is not very fast, and she has no heat (or cold) tolerance--conditions have to be very pleasant, or she won't go. She doesn't like riding in traffic, and won't go up long or steep hills. To her, long is anything over two miles, and steep is anything over 2%. But she's been gradually improving her stamina over the years, and she can go 25 miles or so on flat terrain. I accept the fact she'll never join me on a century ride over mountain passes in 90 degree heat. I'm just glad she's willing to go out and ride with me at all. It's something we really enjoy together. We have some easy MUPs in our area that she loves when the weather is nice, and I love any time spent on a bike.

Here's the trouble. She expects me to look the part. When I hop on my road bike for a 30, 50, or 100 mile ride at 18 MPH, I'm wearing my best bib shorts and tight fitting jersey. I'll have a few packets of Gu in my pocket, and wear my Oakley M2 Frame glasses. These things all make small but noticeable differences in my performance. Sometimes, when I'm joining my wife for a casual Saturday brunch run or whatever, I might decide to ride my 22 pound steel frame fixie. It has 32mm Gatorskins and about the most non-aero seating position possible. I might also choose an even heavier 3-speed city bike. Because I know we're only going 10 or 15 miles, and average speed will be about 12 MPH, I might choose some cargo shorts or joggers and a T-shirt, polo, or even a casual button-down. She gets a little upset and tells me I have to wear some more serious biking attire. Why? Because she's wearing her most performance-oriented clothes, and if someone sees us, she wants them to know we're avid bikers. In casual clothes, I might project the wrong image, and then people won't take us seriously. I've tried to tell her, "You wear whatever works for you. I'm fine with this comfortable outfit for today's ride." But that doesn't go over so well. She pretty much insists I dress up.

Anyone else have to dress the part for the sake of your riding partner's intended image?
Likes For Broctoon: