Old 08-03-23, 12:22 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 648 Posts
Does anyone on this thread know how Campagnolo measures success?

I didn't grow up in the era of campy domination, I grew up with the domination of mountain bikes which were pretty much all Shimano all the time, I just don't have the fond memories of campy that many of the oldsters do.

As my username implies I'm not in the states, I moved to Germany in 2005 and it was nearly impossible to find a bike that had campy in a normal bike shop, in 2012 I raced CX for a shop in Stuttgart which really just served the high end because they were a Colnago dealer they had some campy but they were somewhat unique in that.

Now if I go to FahrradXXL a fairly large German chain bike shop I can buy an in stock road or gravel bike with campy off the sales floor, wile Ekar will never be as common as SRAM and Shimano it's available at normal shops (around me) at a competitive price.

IMHO gravel is mountain bike circa 1988 and campy has a place in that market, the pro peloton is only one place to measure success.
===
In Germany_chris' world Campagnolo has the best hood shape, SRAM has the best shifting mechanism, and Shimano is the most available. I'm going to build a new bike in the next couple months and that bike will most likely be shifted by SRAM because when push comes to shove I trust SRAM more then the other two.

Last edited by Germany_chris; 08-03-23 at 12:42 PM.
Likes For Germany_chris: