Old 08-04-23, 04:49 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
At anytime the cyclist, OP, whatever, could have moved to the left side and gotten rammed by the right turner. .
Not if they hoped to survive in a world full of cars

Yes, they physically could have (in fact I did already mention that possibility up the thread) - but just as in the physically similar movement of "dooring" such an act dangerously without regard for other traffic would be ruled the fault of the party suddenly moving sideways to obstruct travel.

In your desperation to find some "charge" to bring, you overlook that if the stopped party where to suddenly move sideways, they'd be risking a collision with through traffic, not just turning traffic. And because OP was not positioned to exclusively occupy the traffic lane, they left open the invitation for other users (car or bike) to legally pass them using it.

If I arrive at an intersection alone, I'll often position myself to exclusively occupy the lane. If I see in my mirror as I'm coming to a stop that a car behind me has a right turn signal on, I'll move enough left that they can turn right behind me (tough for them if they wait until stopped to turn it on). If instead I for whatever reason of situation or whim position myself to the right to wait for the light as OP did, then I realize that I need to consider the movements and intentions of anyone to my left before I start up. Usually that someone to my left is a driver... (quite often one who will suddenly put on their signal only as the light goes green and immediately turn) but it could equally be a cyclist.

Once I've left space for another road user, I have to assume a user of either type may fill it

Last edited by UniChris; 08-04-23 at 04:56 PM.