Old 08-08-23, 06:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3316 Post(s)
Liked 2,151 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I am no aero expert, but I do love my aero tech.

Coming from a "road" background I have always thought that deeper = better, but perhaps with wider gravel tyres that's not true. I actually went for lightweight and shallower 30mm carbon wheels for my gravel bike upgrade, as a lot of my gravel routes are very climb packed. Perhaps if you have faster, smoother gravel routes where you can run narrower tyres, the aero wheels would help? I don't know.

This article is a good one: https://www.renehersecycles.com/aero...-gravel-bikes/

"An aerodynamic teardrop shape has a ratio (length to width) of 3:1. With 25mm tires, that works out to a 50mm-deep rim (25mm tire + 50mm rim = 75mm deep). However, the trailing end of the rim should be rounded a little. So you get a minimum depth of 45mm for an aero rim for 25 mm tires. Once you go to a 42mm tire, it’s easy to do the math. You’ll want a rim that’s 42mm wide and about 75-80mm deep."

Yes... Yes I am... 🤪
Not sure it will give you any noticeable benefit, but one thing about carbon wheels is they are more durable, so that’s an advantage off road.