Old 08-08-23, 09:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 1,772 Times in 1,070 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Are you really looking for an aero advantage while riding gravel ?. How fast are you trying to go ?. My recollection is that aero gear like an aero bar, aero wheels, etc.. won't really give much advantage unless up near 20 mph or so. Can you maintain 18-20 on a dirt road ?
I am, yeah, and I’ll go as fast as I can! Aero gains, though small, actually build up and become more consequential (in terms of time saved) the longer one rides, so they’re actually bigger gains the slower one goes…to a point. If you look at the Swissside tests linked upthread, you’ll see they tested at 30kph, which is 18.6mph, a speed that’s admittedly high for my ride averages, but does that mean there are no bennies at 17.5mph? It could be, but probably not, and 18mph is well below the fast finishes I do on some group rides, segments where I’m happy to have any advantage available that allows me to run near the front (i.e. not come in last!).