View Single Post
Old 08-10-23, 10:47 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my nephew, who is a personal trainer, suggested calorie counting, as a way to achieve a target weight. anyone else resort to this?

I've found it interesting to compare & contrast diff. items, for example a snickers bar vs a small turkey sandwich & protein bars vs "Kind" bars

Wifey laughs at me because to her it's obvious but for me just starting this, I'm realizing that a slightly larger breakfast is better than later resorting to a snickers bar to tide me over until lunch

shocking the calories in drive thru or other take-out food, even surprising are the differences in common, seemingly harmless sandwiches. for example I can make a turkey sandwich for lunch at home that has 330 calories instead of buying a premade chicken salad sandwich that has 780 calories

that 1 chicken salad sandwich messed me up for the whole day & night!

just started this maybe a week ago & I'm hoping in 6? months, maybe sooner to see some very good results

the formula my nephew suggested was, take your target weight, multiple it by 12 & that is your total daily calorie limit
Years ago I used myfitnesspal to track calories. I logged everything and consulted my app before making choices late in the day after a bike ride. In regards to dinner and if I was to have an adult beverage. Put simply it worked. Then the app sold out to Under Armor and later had a data breach. Counting works if you count everything and are honest with yourself.

I don't make my living as a trainer but your nephew's formula might be about right for maintenance but not for weightloss. To lose weight you need a deficit of calories, daily, weekly, and monthly. The amount of deficit depends on how much how fast you want to lose.

There are other methods that work. Some with lasting results some without.