Old 08-12-23, 08:25 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Wheel building - finding spoke lengths? Calculators?

All,

I am working on a wheel build for my trailer. I am trying to find the spoke lengths. Several years ago I got parts from Ben's Cycle. I don't recall that being that difficult of a process - I got rims and spokes from them and was able to come up with the spoke dimensions pretty easy. This time around I am not finding a method of finding the spoke lengths. Their online "wheel builder" doesn't calculate anything, it just pairs parts together to purchase then they build with the parts you select. I just want to calculate the spoke length then buy the parts from the dimensions.

Are there other wheel builder calculators/resources out there you would recommend that will give me the info I need?

To throw a curve ball in it is I have offset hubs (disk brake hubs - the brake side flange is closer to the center than the opposite of the brake flange) and I want to be able to offset the rim from the centerline. So there are 2 "offsets" I need to compensate for in calculating spokes. The rims aren't going to be centered on the axles as they would in a bike between the drop outs.