View Single Post
Old 08-12-23, 08:58 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I don't know all the CA rules, but mopeds and mc's differ in that you don't need insurance for mopeds and only need to get the license plate once (not a yearly cost).
Yes, in California they realized that they had effectively destroyed a class of vehicles that were reducing congestion by presenting a real alternative to driving everywhere in private automobiles. As such, a lot of the regulations were backed away from, but it was too late, they had already done the damage.

One example is that they made it very easy to get a moped license plate. But that was after. I looked up a few other states where I had lived while writing this. Half of them still require motorcycle driver's licenses to operate a moped. If a person is going to go through that much trouble, they are going to get a motorcycle, not a moped (yes, there are always a small number of exceptions. As a person who took part in the moped boom, I assure you that the one or two mopeds seen in a year do not compare to the ubiquity of the moped in those peak years. But yes, there has been a relaxation of the anti-moped laws.

My concern remains that the same will happen to the eBikes.
Likes For Robert C: