View Single Post
Old 08-19-23, 04:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5908 Post(s)
Liked 2,776 Times in 1,548 Posts
It's par to final check production wheels. However there's a choice.

One may depend on process control and statistical QC to keep wheels within the intended tolerance. This risks outliers that would fail if inspected, but is still a valid cost effective approach.

Or, one may design the system around a 100% final inspection and retouch.

With things like bike wheels the decision may depend on who is downstream. Bike companies, and production wheel builders will opt for statistical QC, knowing there's a dealer who can be the b final check and retuned if necessary.

OTOH producers of high end, especially low spoke count wheels, may prefer that nobody retouches their products will opt for the second approach.

Lastly, we also need to consider the possibility of damage in transit, especially if shipped in non bulletproof boxes. For example, wheels may initially be shipped 5 in a box, then repacked individually by an internet seller. That's 2 trips, one under less than ideal conditions.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: