Old 08-21-23, 11:34 AM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Holland, Belgium, France, and Spain in September- Fenders?

Hello! My wife and I are planning our honey moon ride of approx 1100 miles through the aforementioned countries in September. We have a route planned of mostly EV and other established routes and are very excited about the regions we will be crossing. Our tandem has couplers and can be packed into two luggage boxes to check. It is currently a pretty tight squeeze to get all our stuff packed, and I am wondering if people familiar with these countries this time of year (we will mostly be in France) would recommend bringing fenders. From what I can tell online it sounds like we should expect rain but generally light rain. I am from the Seattle area in Washington state and fenders are pretty much a must have starting in October, but it would be really nice to not have to pack them.

Also more generally speaking, is there anything that I should know about riding a tandem across these countries? We are planning on mostly camping but will be trying for lodging every few days for comfort. Our particular tandem is very long and I worry about hotels not being able to accommodate its size, or it taking up too much space parked on the sidewalk.

Thank you so much!