View Single Post
Old 08-21-23, 03:57 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
Just a few minutes ago I switched my pedals to the flat/spd Shimano PD-M324's, had a heck of time removing the previous pedals. The pedals come with Multi-Release Cleats "Featuring a 13-degree clip-out angle and multi-release functionality that allows you to clip out of your pedals by twisting your foot in either direction or by lifting and twisting your heel, these cleats make it easy to quickly get out of your pedals when the need arises." I'll use these at first, though I've also bought the regular cleats.

I've used the same shape pedals with toe clips forever, but decided to give MTB-SPD shoes a try (Shimano AM503).

I'd read that the PD-M324's were heavy, but they're not noticeably heavier than what I had before.

Now to learn how to unclip. I fell once with my toe clips jumping a sidewalk, losing my balance, and falling sideways onto a wire garbage bin. Doctor said I probably cracked a couple of ribs, hurt like hell.
I had been warned that I should expect to fall when trying cleats (or clipless). The first time I rode with them, I repeatedly clipped in and uncleated maybe a dozen times before I stopped to try to develop the muscle memory.

And to try to force myself to be careful, I intentionally decided to uncleat with my left foot about 30 feet before I stopped, whenever I was going to stop, and hang my foot down as I was stopping.

Never fell because I was cleated in, but on some difficult off road terrain, I came very close several times. Then bought the right kind of pedal so I did not have to be cleated in, could use the other side of the pedal when on that type of terrain.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: