Old 08-28-23, 11:51 AM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
How can I move my flat bar shifter to the left? I-Spec? Wolf Tooth? New bar?

Hello,

I'm trying to determine how to move my flat bar 11 speed road shifter (Shimano RS-700) to the left so my thumb won't rub against it while riding. It's a folding bike with a narrow 580mm carbon bar. The bulge near the middle of the bar is preventing the shifter and brake from moving further to the left.

My local bike shop suggested using I-Spec to combine the shifter and brake mounts. The brakes are Shimano XTR BL-M9100 but when I spoke with Shimano they told me the RS-700 shifter is older and not compatible with I-Spec. I was curious if there any other shift adapters that would be compatible? I've noticed Wolf-Tooth and Problem Solver make shift adapters but I can't tell if they require an I-Spec compatible shifter?

Another thought would be to replace the shifter but I don't know if there is another 11 speed flat bar shifter that would be compatible with both my 11 speed Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 rear derailleur and I-Spec?

Another thought would be to replace the handle bar with one that does not have a bulge such as the Meriwether Ti sweeper bar. This seems like an expensive option ~$240 but perhaps there are other more affordable bars I haven't found yet.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you!

Thumb is rubbing against shifter. The bulge near the center of the bar is preventing the shifter and brakes from moving further over.