daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Even things like shoes matter. I seem to get by just fine with MTB type Shimano SPD pedals and shoes on my road bikes, but you can have a shoe fitting with arch support etc. to reduce foot hot spots. Another one is making your handlebars comfortable to reduce numbness, especially in the nerve on the outer part of the hand that makes the little finger numb. There, gell pads like Nitto Bananas, Specialized bar shapers and bars suitable for your shoulder width can all play a part. A lot of people go for excessively narrow saddles, which can hurt, but the saddle really depends on the stem in many ways, in that the saddle shape may need to change depending on how for forward you are hunched, and that is related to stem length. There are a lot of newer saddles that are short and wide--see Specialized's range--that help with comfort, but measuring your sit bones is never a bad idea.

Riders are never stuck with the components that come stock with their bike, and for relatively little money (especially if you flip the takeoffs) you can have a much more comfortable riding experience.
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Agree, 46 is very wide. I used to see bikes for 5'-10" - 6 ft riders at 44. 42 is usually too narrow, but some 6ft foks are skinny and it's fine.
Couldn't agree more. I didn't know any better when I bought my first road bike, so despite my height (5' 5") and inseam (29 in), I was stuck with a 440mm handlebar and a 90mm stem, which came with the bike that was one size too large for me, for almost a year. I told a friend about the discomfort I had with the bike. He took a look at it and immediately suggested I get a shorter stem and a narrower bar. Did both, and the difference was night and day.

FWIW, I currently have a 380mm bar. Works very well for me.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)

Last edited by daihard; 08-30-23 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For daihard: