Old 09-11-23, 06:39 PM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
1x Drivetrain W/O Narrow-Wide or Chainguide?

Just want to start with I've searched for this a bit and it has left me wondering....

I'm building an old rigid MTB for riding on nearby MUP's and gravel rail trails, nothing hardcore. Going at the pace of my 10 and 13 year old sons, our cruising speed is usually in the 12-14mph range and the largest bumps we see will likely be concrete lifted by an incidental root.

My plan is to go with a 1x8 drivetrain (This is not a thread to discuss why 1x8) using a 32t chainring, 11-28 8 sp cassette and Shimano STX-RC rear derailleur. I'd like to use a Surly Stainless Steel Bike Chainring.

The more I read on forums and facebook groups, I see the recommendation to use a chain guide, narrow-wide chainring and/or a clutched derailleur. Most of these related to 1x MTB's with large range cassettes (11-42 at times)

Question: With the type of proposed riding, gearing and speed that the bike will be intended for, is a narrow-wide or chain guide necessary? If yes, my preference would be to start with a NW but it seems that a 32t, 94mm BCD 5-bolt is challenging to find.

Any thoughts or info would be great!