View Single Post
Old 09-15-23, 11:06 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,071 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by WT21
To the OP:

If you are tired of switching pedals then it seems like you have one of two choices:
1. get another set of pedals
2. get a new trainer w/a power meter built in

If getting new pedals doesn't excite you, and a smart trainer is actually cheaper, then there really isn't any downside. You can set it up to run like you are now AND you get the added benefit of being able to try Sim mode which, to me at least, is a load of fun.

Therefore, IMO, your question actually is "how tired am I of switching pedals?" Are you $500 tired?

Or if you just need that GAS-induced push to get a new toy -- I will say a Smart trainer is worth it, IMO, exactly for the option of the Sim mode.

edit - one other question - would the new trainer be quite than your old one? Is that something you would value? My Wahoo Kickr is pretty darn quiet. My fans are louder than my trainer. If your trainer is old enough - maybe it's loud??? Just a justification for exploring the switch
I guess, yes and yes. Swapping pedals is a minor annoyance, but also I'm looking for that GAS. As with many others, Zwift has taken the trainer experience from being absolute drudgery to a reasonable experience, but anything I can do to improve the experience will result in more time in the saddle in winter. During the summer, I'm riding 12-16 hours/week, but in the winter it's more like 8. I'm not ever going to get to (or want to get to) 15 hours for typical winter weeks, but upping it some would be good.

To that end, I begin to wonder the new Wahoo Move, and so on. But I'm not prepared to pay that price tag...