View Single Post
Old 09-16-23, 10:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4522 Post(s)
Liked 4,224 Times in 2,826 Posts
Have you had actual problems with your brakes? If not don't worry about it. My main commuter uses hydraulic disc brakes and I have had zero issues and I rarely see issues with hydraulic disc brakes, maybe some of the cheaper ones can occasionally be problematic and OLD SRAM/Avid brakes had their issues but that was quite a long time ago and SRAM makes great brakes now. People do kind of freak out for whatever reason but it is usually unfounded. if you breaking a hose in the middle of nowhere it won't be much different then breaking a cable and that doesn't happen too often and if your lines are such that they have enough space to really get caught then you will probably have more issues.

If you did want to swap to a different caliper, I would go TRP Spyre/Spyke (depending on short or long pull levers) which use the super common Shimano M525 pad which is used in a lot of different brakes from a lot of different manufacturers but honestly I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. Plenty of people who do off-road endurance racing like the Silk Road Race and Tour Divide use hydraulic brakes and they are racing and need reliability and are going for 1000s of miles unsupported.