View Single Post
Old 09-18-23, 12:44 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by yves845
Hi everybody

Due to major changes in my job, I will probably have to work 26 miles from home in my relatively hilly place : home is at 2000 ft and work at 420 ft, with a pass in the middle.
The only bike in my "stall" relatively usable for this kind of distance is my High Speed Riese & Muller cargo.
I'm averaging 24 km/h (15 mph) in the area and the battery combo is lasting 60 km (38 miles). Plus I have a third battery
There's also a train but it's not reliable enough.
And of course my (ICE) car ....
At 63 I'm too young to retire, alas.

I had the luxury to chose my job by bike distance for more than 20 years.
Then during the last 5 years, I was working away from home for one or two months, I frequently made self supported week trips to get there.

I'm tempted to buy a lighter speed-bike, but my wife will kill me and I'm affraid the gains will be marginals.

Any thoughts ?
I'm newly 55 and my commute is 32 miles round trip between 2 and 3 times a week; however, Houston is a pool table . Any "hills" around here are either man made or so slight you don't notice them.. I'd look at the economics of it. If a lighter bike will get the job done then your wife should support you especially if it keeps you healthy. If cost is her sticking point, then I'd look at converting something under-used to cash to help finance the new bike.