Old 09-24-23, 11:03 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3269 Post(s)
Liked 1,809 Times in 1,088 Posts
Originally Posted by Keefusb
No reason you couldn't replace the bars and stem with something period correct. You could probably sell that Ti stem to offset the cost of a different one. You could also change your cassette to one with easier gears. If you change the cassette, you might as well put a new chain on it as well. Other than that, I would replace the brake pads, cables, and and perhaps the tires (even though they look newish, they may have dry rot from age).

It's a very nice bike. I would update these few things and ride it as much as possible.
Thanks! The bar and stem are absolutely period correct, though.

I took it out for about 20 miles today, and somewhat surprisingly, it seems the 53/39 x 12-21 is not unrideable for me, it’s just more time in the small ring than my ego is used to! I was riding super easy today, though, and no doubt on a longer and/or harder ride, the gearing would push me to exhaustion a lot faster than modern gearing.