View Single Post
Old 09-28-23, 03:13 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
No sir. I would assume much the same. I Just meant that the pot shouldn't be calling the kettle black.

Personally, I think yoga is excellent to pair with cycling. I also ride different bikes as MTB riding is a bit different from a light road bike, but do complement each other. I also own about 5 kayaks but just consider them extra fun more than anything to help train for fitness. Basically, anything you like to do that is physically challenging is the way to go. Do it because you love it and you will do more of it, than if you do it because you need to.
Well that's just the thing. I have type 1 diabetes on insulin so I have to move as much as humanly possible. Short of overtraining or injury more exercise when you're on insulin is always better (said on purpose for emphasis) because it reduces your insulin needs, keeps appetite sort of down, or at least you eat for good reason instead of wanting to annihilate everything that's in the refrigerator hungry all the time because that's what insulin does. Emphasis type 1 the one that wasn't my fault, never was fat, well into my 40's I don't want to be its hard enough as it is taking the insulin. So I have gravitated to different outdoors activity as well as yes dynamic stretching, yoga like activities, and weight training as well. Agree with MTB you ride less than half the distance for twice the workout. If I don't ride any trails for a while despite being in very good shape I feel sore and I can ride road centuries with 12k climb!

I mostly enjoy all the above (weights less but important past 30yo, especially after 40 and beyond) so its a way to enjoy what I have to do and make me look forward to it instead of begrudgingly walk the neighborhood for 2+ hours a day like I did for so many years of gloom. It runs in my family unfortunately a few relatives are still doing the latter into their old age running around in circles quite literally trying to control their sugars "because they have to" without any pleasure behind the exercise like I used to out of sheer obligation and fear for what's coming if they don't. Just walking isn't that much of a burn so you still have to starve yourself and constantly cope with the never ending ravenousness from the moment you wake up until you fall asleep. Thinking how my life used to be before cycling and kayaking I feel sorry for them.