View Single Post
Old 09-30-23, 07:25 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by duanedr
I am with Andrew, I think I would now go back and try to nip a bit off the seatstay ends so they are a bit more flush with the joint. If careful, you may be able to taper them in place and braze on a thin plate to close them off - or cut them much lower and braze in some plug-style stay caps. Bravo for taking this on in a way that preserves as much of the original as possible.
Thanks for the input. Someday if I feel like it maybe I will alter the seat-stays to fit the average world-view, but there is no functional reason for me to, and it is my bike I am going to ride and it is fine the way it is for me. Today I put a front derailleur on the bike and some less-used brake-pads. I have put forty miles on it today and yesterday and it is a great fun ride. My plan is to keep riding the heck out of it this fall and over the winter throw some of the Campy stuff on it, a set of Record hubs I got at a house-sale for ten bucks, and a friend has donated some Campy shifters and a cable guide. I will check the local auto-paint shop for a can of touch-up paint in a bomb similar to what it has on it and cover up the repairs. After I am dead the next owner can worry about it having more snob-appeal.