Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,778 Posts
newbie hydraulic disc brake Qs

Hello,

I have two bikes equipped with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and am interesting in learning to service them at home. One is a newish road bike equipped with the latest Ultegra BR-8170, the other is a more long-standing MTB equipped with XT BR-M8100. Although these two are certainly in the higher-use category, I have 6 total bikes so I won't be needing to do this so often. So, I'm mostly interested in low to middle tier solutions for 2).

Would it be possible to help with the following questions?

1) Oil -
I assume I can use any old mineral oil (marketed for disc brakes), but that Shimano is preferred. Can anyone recommend an alternate product that is more cost effective for the above brakes, or is Shimano the way to go?

2) Bleed kit -
Can anyone recommend a bleed kit that will work fine with current gen. Ultegra 12 speed group, and previous gen XT 11 speed brakes? The Park Tool kit looks appealing. but I don't think it makes sense for me to fork out 150 bucks for something that will get used somewhat seldomly.

3) New Lines -
Can I use the same brake fluid lines for both groups, or do I need to purchase them separately? A quick google search reveals BH59 and BH90 and some compatibility charts I could look up. Just wondering if there is any universal third party hoses, hacks or other "pro tips" before I purchase whatever the "box recommendation" is.

I don't have questions regarding pads or how to replace them.

Thanks!
-David