Old 10-10-23, 11:12 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 2,610 Times in 1,087 Posts
Not exactly a head-scratcher, but this thread reminded of Talbot's in San Mateo, now unfortunately out of business.

There were three Talbot's stores, each with a front door to the street and its own sign, right next to each other and with connecting doors/walkways. There was Talbot's bike shop (a real drool-fest for a teenager in the mid-1970s just getting into the sport), Talbot's toy store, and Talbot's kids' clothing store. I don't recall what order the shops were in. I used to love those rare times I could make it across the Bay to visit. My lasting memory is their two stacks of chainwheels, one of Campagnolo Record (I assume all144mm bcd, but I don't know) and one of first-gen Shimano Dura Ace, both close to foot high, both cones of 'rings with the biggest on the bottom sloping up to the smallest on top. I thought it was a very cool visual. I remember buying a 47-tooth DA chainwheel to go with my DA crankset (for junior gearing - this was when I had delusions of being a racer). Good luck ever seeing the like today.

Talbot's used to be a fairly major bike racing squad sponsor until an unfortunate incident involving Club teens being driven back from a race flashing Playboy centerfolds at other motorists. (Rather scandalous for 1974 or so) They were riding in the store van with the store's name, address and phone number prominently displayed. A few irate phone calls to the store later, the sponsorship went "poof." And yes, there was an adult driving the van, someone who was well-known in West Coast (or at least Bay Area) racing circles and who was roundly and publicly chided for his role is this incident.