Old 10-11-23, 08:19 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DanXBoon
Thank you ljsense. Tire clearance - I don't like the lack of it, but open to accepting it if other aspects work. I will check out the Sheldon Brown study.

What I am most fascinated with though is that some people can say "it looks like it has ..." (7800 Dura Ace shifters). This is what I cannot see at this point, due to lack of experience. Will report back later in the week, if I manage to see this bike.

As for the variation in pricing opinions (from $200 to $600, to be conservative), I don't mind it at all. It is understandable, being a function of one's experience (and saturation with) bikes, as well as purchasing power.
Do you ride in a hilly area? This bike might have fairly high gearing, more for a strong rider or racer. (Newer bikes with 11 or 12 speed cassettes can have a wide enough gear range to suit a wider range of riders.) The (fuzzy) chart posted above says 50/34 front and 11-26 rear. That's acceptable, but 11-28 or even 11-32 cassettes are more suitable for many riders. There's likely a size limit on these older bikes, though. If your hills aren't extreme, this will be fine as is.

My 2014 road bike has room for 28mm tires that I run at much lower pressures than the 23mm or 25mm typical of earlier years.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-11-23 at 08:22 PM.
Likes For rm -rf: