View Single Post
Old 10-11-23, 10:16 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by 2WheelWilly
Hi All! I have a decision on my hands and I hoped some folks here might be able to help. For the first time in a pretty long life of riding I'm on the market for a new (to me) bike. Until now I'd been riding a 50 year-old steel hand-me-down (daily commutes and touring) but it's finally on its last... wheels? I had what I thought was a pretty big budget for replacing it, but I hadn't checked bike prices in a while and they aren't what I remember 😂! Basically, I'm ambitious/vain enough to want something a bit less generic than what I can find off the rack, but to do that (given my budget) I probably need to buy something used.

I like everything I've read about the Ritchey Outback V2--I'm partial to steel, and it seems versatile enough to tour with, do occasional unloaded day rides with friends, and commute/grocery shop, etc. I like the look as well. There's a used frameset available that looks to be in good shape for ~$900 (does that seem fair?). The problem is I'm not really expert enough to be confident sourcing the components and (particularly) putting the bike together myself. A dear friend of mine who is pretty mechanically expert advises me just to get a complete (new) bike off the rack, but the more unique fully built new bikes that suit my precious/vain sensibilities would be out of my price range.

So, my questions are--

(1) Supposing I were to source all the parts/components to build out the bike from a shop (to incentivize them to do the build for me)--roughly how much should I expect to spend? I think a 2x drivetrain with wide gearing would best suit me--something like a Shimano 105, GRX600 or GRX400. I'm not obsessing about shaving grams, but I do want stuff that's well built, reliable, and pleasant to use--I'm not interested in cutting costs to such an extent that I'd fall below any of those thresholds.

(2) Any suggestions about what components to use to build out the bike?

Thanks for any advice! Oh, and if anyone feels very strongly that I should just give up my vain dream, suck it up, and order a perfectly nice fully built Kona Sutra off the internet, I'm open to having that kind of cold water thrown on me, too. Re building up the bike myself, I'm super interested in learning, but while I'm not allergic to mechanics, I'm not talented, and my friend rightly thinks I'd be better served learning by working on a very cheap frame (I have a few of those) or by tinkering with the bike after it's been built. Buying the components I could certainly do: I'm fine at reading things/asking people to discover what's compatible, and I'm fine at searching the Internet until I find a decent price. But I figure a shop is more likely to work with me if I buy the components through them--based on what I've read in other fora here, shops look askance if you bring them a frame and a bunch of parts you bought yourself and then ask them to build it out for you.

My hope is just to end up with a bike I love that will last me for the next few decades, like my old one has. I don't really enjoy the whole purchasing/decision making process.
If the frame is in good shape, that's not a bad price. I'd just check for any dents. Also, I'd just get it built up the way you like; however, that'll definitely cost more than just buying a complete bike (ask me how I know!). I'm not super handy when it comes to bikes, so I always get my shop to do the work. They get a nice chunk of change (support the local shops!), and I'm ensured that I don't screw something up. I'd go GRX and try to find some deals on cockpit, seat post, and wheels online. The deals are out there if you look (just this week, I found a Chris King wheelset with H Plus Son rims in great shape for $250). Good luck, and have fun with it! It's always nice to have a bike that is personalized to your needs, wants, and tastes...